Download Show 19 EP:19 The Importance of Computer Software Updating
We talk about all this below and much much more in this weeks show.
In this show we talk about PC Health Check (MOT). These just some ideas and ways that we work, there is no wrong or right way just ideas to share we you.
important: These tests are nothing to do with PC Performance for Optimizing in my opinion.
PC Health Check (MOT)
Antivirus, Firewall, and AntiSpyware
• Virus Scan. & Malware Scan of the system
• Install latest security software ie: virus scanner, malwarebytes,
• Run Chkdsk /R
• Create a windows recovery disc or system restore disc (manufature restore disk)
• Back up the registry
• Setup Erunt - ERUNT
• Install all updates for your Windows Operating System.
• Install all updates for Microsoft Office Software
• Update Chipset Drivers, Graphics, Sound, etc
• Update program Software Drivers
• Install all latest security patches ie: Flash, Quicktime, Plugins ie Adblock, No-Script
• Install latest updated browser and setup all security settings
• Install latest spam filter for email client
• Change Windows Login Password
• Clean up your Temporary and Internet Files.
• System Valet - Clean your Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, CD Drives, Floppy Drives, Case inside and out.
• Clean inside of PC
• Clean CPU fan and heat-sink (apply new thermal compound)
• Clean case fans (replace if old and tired)
• Clean graphics card fan and heat-sink, also Clean intake
• Clean PSU vents and fan
• Clean case filters
Test all hardware and diagnose faults
• Test power supply, jumper green & black wire, then test each connector, also check for blown caps.
• Test graphics card (furmark)futuremark.com
• Check for dead pixels on your monitor screen
• Hard Drive SMART data results CrystalDiskHDD Health v3.3
• Run diognosic test of hard drive for bad sectors hdd-regenerator or Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities
• Test sound card
• Visually inspect motherboard for damage and blown caps. & run PassMark BurnInTest
• Test memory memtest.org
• Test Optical drive for read and write error's also try burning CD
• Test CPU (run bench test and check temps) Prime95RealTemp
• Test all USB Ports
• Check network and internet settings
• Test Wired/Wireless networks (Check & disable SSID Broadcast, wep or wpa2 security and change if present)
• Check router settings (ie mac filtering)
• Check UPS
• Reboot network hubs, router, switchs, server.
• Printer – print test page, check default and check all rollers
• Patching insecure programs helps safeguard your data and PC against cybercriminals secunia.com
• Advise on any upgrades (memory installation is free of charge if bought at the same time as your PC Check-Up.)
Software you can use but not advised